Monday, June 20, 2011

Boredom a faithful companion




It’s quite easy to keep myself busy, most of the time I keep myself busy by being bored. Boredom isn’t so bad after all, that’s what after hours of thought and restlessness I make myself believe.
It all began on the third day of the thunder. As usual I was being kept company by creatures, warlike and even the cutest and cuddliest creatures that the chief of our three person tribe had bought me. The revolution created by the men from the box was quite remarkable, by the way they are the ones that got me the creatures and the portal needed to access it. The portal was quite common these days. Everybody in our town owned one.The bright colours and images of the past and present alike, it showed with precision and a mystic understanding.

The third day of the thunder was the most frightening. The colours in the air ocean kept changing, the drums of the sky too made hearts stop and the village came to a standstill. Not just because of the few hearts that stopped but because at the very moment the wrath of all the Gods of time, from the past and present was heard. The people who heard it thought that they would hear no more other wished to be one of those deaf and helpless people that were brought to the earth. The portals and modern crystal balls lost their power; some turned as bright as the sun and then timidly dimmed into a permanent darkness with a little smoke and fire. Others just refused to come alive.

Panic grew among kids and the elderly alike. It felt as if I was going to be one of those lucky people who would survive the apocalypse and tell others about it some day. I began to feel a strong grip, Boredom a new creature came into view just then. It was something that came not from the portal but from my very living room. It rose up from a deep slumber, and sort to assert its dominance once again now that the creatures from the portal had ceased to exist. I knew I was in deep trouble; its very presence made my mind ache, restlessness fell over me like a warm blanket. My thoughts began to take control of me, it took me back to places I had been to earlier. This new creature showed me my memories unlike the others who showed me fantasies.

It’s been fourteen days, a week in simpler terms. Or is it two, im not sure. The wrath of the air ocean has subsided and there have been rumors that the portals were coming back to life. How true they are im not sure, in the absence of all that dictated my life I found myself. Boredom the creature from the dusty corner of my living room is the worst companion anybody can find. However it made me do something, for the first time in my life. I have written, hence I exist. The first thing I did in my life without the company of those other cheerful and thrilling creatures. Now the portals are locked away, far away. I act and think, Boredom keeps me busy.

1 comment: